Monday, June 7, 2010

A LITTLE T AND A. (MR.T AND A-TEAM)

With the new A-Team movie being released I've been thinking about it more lately.

When I think of A-Team it reminds me of my dad because it was something he always watched in the evening when he got off work. He also liked the show "You can't do that on Television" and "Cheers".
The only thing about the show I really remember was the A-Team getting holed-up in some sort of warehouse or barn near the end of every episode and being surrounded by "bad guys". Then there would be a music montage or whatever where they would work together to build some sort of makeshift tank out of an old school bus or something and bust out through a door and shoot everyone.
I guess I was just too young to really grasp the plot or the details of any particular politics or mission that was involved. I also think that at that age most of the characters were kind of overshadowed by Mr. T, kind of like a band where all anyone remembers is the name of the lead singer. Face it, they didn't make A-Team cereal but they did make Mr. T cereal. He also had a cartoon series while the A-Team did not.

I knew that the big year for A-Team was 1984 so I thought I'd dig out my 1984 Montgomery Ward Christmas catalog and check out the A-Team collectables. Here's some scans for funtime enjoyment.

A-TEAM MR. T

A-TEAM MR. T

Unlike some of the other years of the catalog, this year has a neat breakdown page listing the hot kids categories. Gremlins was also popular this year and of course Cabbage Patch Kids. It's also kind of amusing that the mini-series "V" was on t.v. in 1984 and it's been rehashed now around the same time as A-Team. I'm just wondering when someone is going to C.G. those gremlins for a comeback? I think they ruined a lot of the potential for a Gremlins 3 with the 2nd one but that would be something I'd love to see. They could make the Gremlins a lot more vicious and now they have the technology to produce large hoards of them without having to use puppets or stop-motion.
Anyway, back to A-Team.

A-TEAM MR. T

I always thought the A-Team action figures looked weird around the hips. I bought the Mr. T one at a garage sale a few years back and it fell apart after a couple days.

A-TEAM MR. T

A-TEAM MR. T

A-TEAM MR. T

A-TEAM MR. T

MR. T

I think it's amusing how they put the little black kid on the A-Team bike. And look how big Mr. T is in proportion to the other characters on the handle bar plate. That's what I'm talking about the whole "overshadowing" thing.

A-TEAM MR. T

If you're trying to figure out which "powerwheel" is the A-Team one just look for the little black kid again.

Since I really don't care too much about the A-Team, I'll just finish this post up with some of my favorite Mr. T photos.

First of all, one of my favorite things about 80's icons is pairing a couple of them up in one shot (ex: Michael Jackson and E.T.) priceless. So here's a couple Mr. T photo duets.

A-TEAM MR. T
I don't know if this technically counts but I consider it a Mr. T moment.

A-TEAM MR. T
Stallone and T in Rocky III. Crap, that rhymes.

A-TEAM MR. T
T and Boy George. It's like ebony and ivory. And a couple other less obvious differences.

Saved the best till last. My favorite Mr. T pic.

December 12, 1983 at the White House.

A-TEAM MR. T
Nancy Reagan and Mr. T dresses as Santa.

A-TEAM MR. T

Elvis was the "king of rock", Michael Jackson was the "king of pop", and Mr. T is the mudda-fuggin "king of bling".

Ever wonder where he got all that gold? The same way the Goonies did. He stole it from One-eyed Willie.

A-TEAM MR. T

Mr. T has gone on to make some excellent Christian records.

A-TEAM MR. T

Check out that little kid squatting between Mr. T's legs. Not too many kids can go to school and brag to their friends about how they have rested their head against Mr. T's ball sack!!

A-TEAM MR. T

Finally I will leave you with something creepy. There is a website where you can mess with "virtual" Mr. T and change around his facial hair and accessories. The creepy part is seeing what Mr. T looks like without his Mohawk and beard. I should put a parental advisory on this or something but...oh well, here it is.

Ironic Sans Presents: The Mr. T Virtual Playset

MR. T

MR. T

Just in case you were wondering what Mr. T's real name is, it is Laurence Tureaud. He was born two months before my dad in 1952.

1 comment:

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com