Monday, April 27, 2009

ITALIAN GARBAGE PAIL KIDS A.K.A. SGORBIONS

I got a pack of Series 2 Italian Garbage Pail Kids which are called Sgorbions today. These came out in Italy in 1990 after the success of G.P.K.s in the U.S. . The only other foreign cards I have in my collection are U.K. cards which are almost completely identical to the U.S. cards except they are a lot smaller.

The Sgorbions come 5 to a pack like the American versions but they are not die-cut and they have yellow borders. The backs are a lot different also. Only one of the five cards had a familiar back (wanted poster) and the others seemed to have mail-away gags. The package is similar to one of those sticker packs they used to have back in the 80's/90's where you would buy a movie or cartoon themed sticker album and then collect the sticker packs to fill in the spaces. These Italian Sgorbions did come with albums also. Here is a scan of the front and back of the package:

Photobucket

The Garbage Pail Kid on the package is a version of the "Nicky Hickey"card 130 from the U.S. except they added an arm giving the "peace sign".

Photobucket

There were also sixteen cards in this set which they added a soccer ball into the image but I didn't get one of these in this pack.

I'll post front and back scans of the five cards I got with the original U.S. card images:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I plan on getting my hands on some more foreign G.P.K.s soon and I'll post more scans.

No comments: