Tuesday, March 29, 2011

MR. POTTER'S PAPER ART 3-29-11

Taking a break from sketching, I spent the last week working on some of my recycled "paper art". I get a kick out of taking paper/cardboard scraps from the local recycling bin and creating 3-dimensional figures and objects out of them. With some scissors, a bit of Elmer's glue, and a LOT of patience you can make about anything.

I've posted some of my previous creations here on my funtime blog so I figured I'd share a couple new projects.

I made a generic Smurf with some blue and white paper I found.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I figured later on I could get fancy and make a Papa Smurf or Smurfette? Who knows.

Photobucket

I brought my old Fisher Price "chatter phone" to work one day to draw it and my co-workers got a big kick out of seeing it on my desk. It seemed everyone was happy to be reunited with their old pal (I guess every kid grew up with this thing).

Photobucket

I was working on the Smurf and I had commented to one of the new guys that I should build the chatter phone to scale out of paper. It would probably take a lot of work but I figured it would be a fun task to complete.
I spent the next three days measuring the original phone, cutting patterns, gluing, and assembling the pieces. I should have photo-documented the process up to this point but I figure I still have quite a bit of work to do. I've got the basic "body" finished and some of the smaller pieces drying. Here's some pics of the current state of completion:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Today I built the dial and started on the wheels.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll post more pics of this work-in-progress as it is completed. I've got some neat ideas for it!

No comments: