Tuesday, May 10, 2011

MAKING MONKEYS 5/11

I decided last week to do a new "recycled paper" project. I was looking through monkey photos for another piece of art I'm working on and I came across the classic monkey with cymbals toy. I have one of these in my studio and it's really fun and annoying when you turn it on.

Photobucket

I started out designing one while I looked for paper and cardboard to build it. I decided to make 3 of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After sketching out the measurements I cut all the patterns for the different pieces.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I cut all the paper for the body, face, and limbs. and glued them to the cardboard levels to make them 3-dimensional.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The toughest part was finding metallic paper for the cymbals and cutting them out. I ran out of the little bit of metallic paper quickly and miscalculated the number to cut (3 monkeys x 2 cymbals x 2 sides to each cymbal = 12). I ended up cheating in the end and making up for my mistake with tin foil.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They ended up turning out pretty neat.

Photobucket

No comments: