Friday, January 23, 2009

MAD ABOUT THRIFT SHOPPING

I found a great Spy Vs. Spy board game while hunting at the thrift store today. I wasn't aware that they ever made one of these so I was pleasantly surprised. I already have two of the regular Mad board game and a Mad card game in my collection. The Mad board game is frustrating because it has all of these demented rules and the object of the game is actually to lose. I'll have to scan some of the weird rules and post them sometime. That's Mad's sort of humor though. I remember when I would forget to renew my subscription they would send me letters claiming that the Mad artists and writers had starving children and were facing eviction and it was all my fault. I wish more bill collectors were like that. Here is a photo if the game:

Photobucket

Photobucket

It looks like fun. The game still had all of the pieces and is in pretty good condition except that the kid that owned it wrote his name on it and drew on the inside of the cardboard lid.

Mad Magazine is the last survivor of EC comics which I am very fond of, and has been around since 1952. The are actually two issues away from their 500th issue. Mad actually came out a year before Playboy which was called "Stag Party" at first.

I've had a subscription to Mad for years, I think my wife signed me up for a twenty year subscription a couple anniversaries ago. I also have quite a large collection of older Mad Magazine dating back to the early 60's. I'm always keeping my eye out for more. At this time I've got close to 280 issues all kept chronologically in protective sleeves and right at 75 Mad books and paperbacks. I'll have to scan some of my favorite ones sometime. I actually had my artwork published in Mad #453 in May 2005. I did the letter of the month.

Photobucket

Here are some scans of my Mad magazine collection and Mad junk in my studio:

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Ever since I was a kid I always dreamed of drawing for Mad. Until then I'll just keep reading.

No comments: