Monday, June 16, 2008

TRASH CAN TROLLS

I was very happy today to find that a set of TRASH CAN TROLLS trading cards I ordered arrived in the mail. These cards came out in 1992 and I used to have a bunch of them but I gave them away, so it is nice to have the whole set again. Similar to Garbage Pail Kids these cards spoof the the Norfin Troll doll fad of the early 90's. There are 44 cards in the set, and like the GPK's each card has an a/b card with a separate name.

A lot of the same artists illustrated the cards including two of my favorites Tom Bunk and John Pound. Here are the card images.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The backs of the cards had puzzles like the Garbage Pail Kids and coupons for troll related products.

Photobucket

TROLL FACTS
* The first Troll dolls were originally called "Dam Dolls" or "Dammit Dolls" and were created in Denmark in the 40's by a man called Thomas Dam.
* The first doll was carved from wood and had yak hair and glass eyes. Dam carved it for his daughter.
* The dolls were supposed to bring luck to their owners and became popular and mass produced mostly for little girls in Denmark.
* Introduced in the U.S. in the 60's they quickly became a popular fad toy.
* The Norfin troll which is one of the names they are now called made a comeback in the early 90's spawning the Trash Can Trolls.

I have two trolls that I know of in my pad. One is just a little magnet on the lockers in my studio. The other is my lucky two headed troll I found at a garage sale. I have no idea why it has two heads and to be honest that is the only reason I bought it because I think the trolls are revolting and ugly but I guess it will give me twice the luck. I'm going to have to take it out to BINGO sometime. I'll let you know how that goes.

Photobucket

No comments: